Monday, July 26, 2010

La vida loca

Sunday afternoon, Silvia made me a lunch of ensalada, lentilos con chorizo y papas/papas dolces (salad, and lentils with sausage, potatoes and sweet potatoes)...delicious!! Then we took the omnibus to La Universidad. There are so many different buses here, and to be honest, I really can't tell them apart. Silvia wrote me a list of those that I can take, so hopefully that helps. After visiting the university briefly, we picked up Megan and Susanna at their apartment and took another bus to the shopping center. It is very similar to the United States: a bunch of parents and kids everywhere, McDonald's..and tons of other familiar products with Spanish slogans. The only difference is everyone has olive skin, brown eyes, brown hair, and Italian noses...and they are all speaking Spanish. After shopping we came back to the house and watched Jackie Chan (in Spanish) and ate crackers with the PB&J I brought. A few hours later, we had dinner around 9 (roasted chicken, rice, peas, salad, and soup). Since it is dark here around 6:30ish (and freezing) I decided to go to bed around 10:30 (8:30 US time). I know this is early, but after a day full of speaking and listening to a language I barely comprehend...my brain is absolutely fried. And then, whenever I am listening to North American music, or reading/writing English, I am constantly trying to translate it.
This morning, Silvia and I walked to the church to see if they have morning mass. No luck, I'll have to wait til the weekend because the only masses are when I have orientation. However, it was a nice walk because it was finally sunny out (don't get me wrong I'm still completely bundled up!). While we were walking there, a man in a truck drove past, beeped repeatedly, waved, and blew a bunch of kisses. I laughed and Silvia said that whenever men see women walking alone, they will always wave and blow kisses and tell you how lovely you are. I told her my grandpa was worried about the men and she said that I should always be careful, but never worry, because they say many things, but do nothing. She said they will talk, but not touch. However, she noted, it is still important to not acknowledge them, or any stranger for that matter. In fact, just as I was sitting here, Silvia was leaving for work and told me that if anyone starts talking to me from the street, that I should walk into the house, lock the doors, and stay inside. Its nice having Grita (our dog), because she barks and snarls if anyone besides Silvia or I gets close to the gate!
This afternoon, Silvia and I are going to the nicer part of town because she has a dentist appointment. I'll get to see the President's house and take some pics!! Silvia dyes and cuts hair in people's homes for a living, so it is pretty flexible hours and allows her to leave late in the morning, which is nice for me because she always makes breakfast! I told Silvia I would cook or clean if she needed, and have asked several times, but she said I only need to do so if she is not there. I think she enjoys the company because she has 3 grown daughters and has had several exchange students and is very used to the routine. I'm glad she is still very patient, because most of the time she has to ask, "Entiendes?" which means "Do you understand?"...and usually I don't.
Anyway, I'm freezing out here, so I'm gonna go inside and enjoy my cafe y tostadas (coffee and toast w/the fixin's).
Besos

No comments:

Post a Comment