Thursday, September 02, 2010

Rainy

It has been raining like no other here :( but luckily I didn't have class on Tuesday so I woke up at noon, ate breakfast, did homework, took a nap, ate lunch...I think you see where this is going! Silvia definitely supports my napping/sleeping--she says I need my rest to stay healthy!! When I sleep less than 12 hours a night, she said she worries about me falling asleep in class --she definitely knows me well!!! :)
Yesterday, I had to go to my community service so I woke up around 7 (before the sun comes up if you ask me...) and waited at my bus stop in the pouring rain for about 15 mins and rode a bus about 35 mins to my stop. It was my first time taking this bus there, and I am reallllly unfamiliar with this area, so I asked a local if I had the right street. He gave me some directions to the school (different from the ones Silvia gave me) and I began my 6 block trek in INSANE WIND AND RAIN. Of course, my umbrella broke within like 2 minutes and I just had to trudge through. I walked for about 25 mins with literally NO sign of the school even though I had followed his directions perfectly (why didn't I just trust Silvia??hhaha). Not only that, but I was on side streets in a barrio, which means there were NO taxis...GREAT. So I burst out laughing on a sidewalk in the rain with a broken umbrella in South America...what else could I do? I asked several people and finally a family was able to point me in the correct direction and I arrived at the school about half hour or so after deboarding the bus.
There were only 4 kids at school instead of 24 because of the rain (the 4 who were there live with a state institution and therefore don't miss school). We had alot of fun, and I am amazed at the amount of creative energy in 4 kids...I can only imagine how insane it is going to be with all of the kids, especially because almost all of them have some time of attention disorder.
I spent the rest of the afternoon at school completely soaked, but luckily my lit class was cancelled so I went to an outlet with Kate and Marina and spent the evening at Kate's house. When I left, Eduardo asked what I was doing to which I responded, going home to eat and sleep? and he said (in Spanish) "NO you will take off your coat and stay here, there are food and beds here. You have a sickness where you think you have a host mom named Silvia, but you actually make it up and now you must live here" hahaha this guy is sooo crazy and funny. Imagine a balding South American yelling at me in Spanish...classic :)
I left anyway and as I was walking out the door Eduardo and Laura (the host parents) told me that if I didn't exist, someone would have to invent me because the world would not be the same without me. Haha these people are incredibly sweet and welcoming...I feel so blessed to have met them!
Silvia and I watch the news everynight, which I definitely look forward to. We usually make fun of everyone's hair and she randomly shoulds "Mentiras!!" (lies!!) whenever they talk about government....love it! She made an orange torte last night....SO DELICIOUS!!! I had 2 pieces at dinner and she set one out for me for breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment