I know I’ve blogged a bit about the culture of sharing…but this is a legit deal here. People share EVERYTHING. One American said that they eat cough drops like candy here, so when she had a cold (and NEEDED them), she would take them out during class and EVERYONE would want one. I too have noticed that it is not rare to get offered the food off of someone else’s plate. They love sharing, and love to be shared with.
Mate (pronounced Mah-tay) is probably the most popular of the sharing tradition. I know I’ve talked about this also…but the Uruguayos LOVE them some mate. ALL of my professors have talked about mate…at least once. It is an extreme phenomenon here. An exchange student said she’s seen Mate passed around the ENTIRE class…including the professor. These people must have incredible immune systems!! Mate is meant to be shared…even my taxi driver offered me some of his…However, up until this morning at Kate, Rachel, Rob, Anna and Tylie’s house, I had not tried it. I got to share some of Rob’s (he is out of the hospital and doing great by the way), which I think was actually Kate’s…this stuff is like green tea x 1,000,000. It’s packed with B vitamins so there is no crash…just a lot of energy. That said, it is VERY strong and bitter and takes a bit to get used to. I think if I start drinking it, I’ll use sugar water in my thermos…or else I’ve heard people use juices also.
I went to the movies with some kids, we saw El Escritor Oculto (the ghost writer)…I thought it was pretty good! The movie was in English with Spanish subtitles…so I felt like I was giving myself quite the luxury! We showed up about 15 minutes late…the previews hadn’t even started yet, so typical haha. Food in movie theatres here is just as expensive….FYI.
I took a bus to the barrio Pocitios to meet up with my friends. I’ve taken the bus before and know I have to get off at a giant famous tree called El Ombu. It was dark, probably around 9:30 pm and I wasn’t really paying attention (surprise) so when I looked and thought I saw El Ombu, I immediately got off the bus. I turned around…nope, it was a building…haha oops. Well, of course I thought I could just walk the rest of the way. So I start walking…no sign of El Ombu…keep walking…I have no idea where I am. Luckily, Pocitos is a very safe and populated neighborhood (if it were dangerous I would’ve flagged a cab pronto) so I could wander a bit. I stopped and ask a woman and she doesn’t even know what El Ombu is. I walked some more (I had called my friends, so they knew I was going to be late) and asked another woman who said I was in the right barrio, but it was far enough away that I should take a cab. GREAT. So I flagged down a cab and 50 pesos later (roughly 2.50$...which means kind of far) arrived at El Ombu. I promptly started walking the wrong direction for a block or so, until I realized my error and turned around and FINALLY (1 hour trip instead of 30 mins!) made it to their house. People here sing ALL the time. On the bus, in line for things, on the street…it is very common for random people to burst into song. I love it, especially because it is mostly the older generation or very young men…so random.
The cigarette packs here have horrid pictures on them to try to deter smoking (dead babies, rotten teeth, symbols of sterility…etc.). I know this because almost every European smokes as well as some Americans and tons of Uruguayos—they are pretty cheap, like 3$ a pack or something.
Silvia’s son-in-law (husband of Micaela) works at an ice cream place—apparently it’s the richest and best ice cream place in MVD. The other night he brought over leftover waffle cone…we ate it with Dulce de Leche…I told Silvia it was dangerous. SO DELICIOUS. When it gets warmer, they are going to take me to get ice cream…Silvia constantly raves about how delicious the ice cream is here!! (Good thing Gpa K does not live here! J)
There are signs on the buses that prohibit smoking…and spitting.
Uruguayos are so friendly. I cannot count the times that I have not understood something, and people are so patient with me. I am really glad because, as a USA citizen, I was expecting to be hated on, but they are so polite and welcoming here. Usually we just end up laughing it off, and speaking some type of Spanglish to figure things out.
I was called blonde twice in one day just because my hair isn’t black.
Classes are pretty laid back here. Professors answer their phones during lectures sometimes, and they don’t care if your phone rings during class...they just ignore it. You can bring food, mate, your computer…basically do whatever, as long as you are engaged in the discussion.
When I talked about the men with horse and carts that dig in the dumpsters, I spoke too soon. Yes, there are people here that dig through the trash for food. However, most of these people actually make up a type of profession (more or less). No, this isn’t a salary, or even hourly-paid job, rather they are paid through the recyclables they collect. I noticed that everywhere I go they recycle paper, but not glass or plastic. This is so that the collectors have a way to make a living. You see these people at ALL hours of the day/night rummaging through bags in the trash looking for bottles as they get pesos for what they find. The government does not have to fund a separate recycling program, and people have a way of making money…quite ingenious, and definitely explains why they forage so diligently.
Also, I’m thinking about flying to Bolivia for 5 days. The tickets are a bit costly (350$ round trip+150$ visa), but once we get there, we have a place to stay and most meals for free. This is because Kate from North Carolina went to Bolivia in 2006 and worked in an orphanage there. The children make and sell bracelets to raise money for expenses, and to try to go to college. Kate had the idea to bring these back to the states and sell them for 5$ each (they sell for 35 cents in Bolivia because everything is so cheap there) and she sends all the money back to Bolivia. So far, she has sent 200 kids to college…incredible!! (**If anyone wants a bracelet…mail 5 bucks, I’ll bring some back!!) The woman that heads up the orphanage offered her a place to stay for her and friends if she ever wanted to come back. If I decide to go I have to get a yellow fever shot, but that is really easy with the hospital systems here. Bolivia is the poorest country in all of the America’s, so traveling there is cheap, but I don’t know when else in my life I’ll have the opportunity for free lodging and with a group of other students!!
Oh, and Silvia said the address for here is actually:
Bailey Kaiser
Nancy 4287 BIS
11412 Montevideo
Uruguay
If you’ve already mailed something it will still get here, but the “BIS” apparently makes it simpler for the mail carrier (just for you Pops!! Haha)

No comments:
Post a Comment