The night before this, I went to a different shopping center (this one is pretty close to my house). It was POURING outside, but I really needed some cheap everyday shoes other than my sneaks. I caught a bus and got off at the wrong stop and had to walk 5 blocks in the rain...I am literally the only one in the entire city without an umbrella. By the time I got to the mall my hair and clothes were dripping water, and for some stupid reason I decided it was a good idea to wear glasses...so I could not see anything. I looked really ridiculous and really foreign. I went to shoe store (the malls here are alot like our malls...but alot of stuff is behind huge walls of glass and you have to point it out. Another thing I was not made aware of was that sizes here are different...so when I asked the salesman for a 9 or 10 he looked at my feet and looked at me like I was crazy. I'm actually a size 41 here.
Saturday night I went to a despedida (a going away party) for a girl from last semester. We went to a nice restaurant and had cheesy fries and pizza (the food here is VERY similar to the states in many ways). After dinner, we went to a Salsa club. Everyone there was at an amazing level (this place is for pros and skilled dancers). This goes without saying, but I am a horrible salsa dancer...luckily so was everyone else in the group. I didn't have to worry because the natives are more than willing to help you learn the basic steps! Tonight I'm going to salsa class so I can improve on my weak foundation.
Sunday night I went to a small club for a live jazz concert...it was incredible!!! However, everything here starts so late so we went around 11 and got home after 1:30. I am very tired today!! I came to the University around 11 (I know this is late, but its early for me!) and had my first two classes. The Spanish is getting a little easier to understand, but I still have a LONG way to go. I spoke to Silvia's friend Susanna the other day and she told me that in one week my skills have really gotten better, so that is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gets really frustrating to not be able to say what is on my mind. Perhaps it is a good thing that I have a forced filter now..haha :)
It is very hard to describe, but everyday really weird things happen. I am uncomfortable ALL the time. Perfect example, some girl just started talking to me and I have no idea what she just said to me. AWKWARD. There is so much about Uruguay that is easy to adjust to...and so much else that surprises me. The poverty here is very obvious. Just like any big city, they have a huge spectrum range of incomes. Unlike the US, guns are not allowed here, so much of the crime is reduced to theft, pick pocketing, mugging...etc. You have to be really wary of people who talk to you on the street. Most often, one person will talk to you, be very friendly, and be the distraction so that their partner can steal whatever you are holding. One of my American friends saw a business man talking to a random person, and another came running past and stole his sunglasses of his head and they both took off.
That said, Montevideo is very safe compared to alot of Latin America. The people here are very friendly and I haven't had a bad experience yet....it is just important to be aware.
I feel like I have so much more to say about this place, but I haven't had the time to compartmentalize it all.
Love

No comments:
Post a Comment