There are fresh fruit/veggie markets all over the city all year round. On the weekends the little markets close and the larger markets open. Today I went to the large market near my house (like a 10 min walk) around 10am and got some fresh fruit. I paid the equivalent of 5 bucks for: 4 beautiful apples, 10 mandarin oranges and 3 pears. The fruit here has seeds (like real fruit should) and is sweeter and more flavorful...you definitely will not find genetically altered foods here...I love it.
The food here is NOT SPICY nor in any way is it similar to foods in Mexico or Central America.
The food has European origins from Spain and Italy. Lots of meats, pasta, rice, delishhh veggies, potatoes, breads, farm fresh eggs...I can honestly say that I have a well-rounded diet here, and its easy to achieve because I have access to FRESH and CHEAP foods. The processed cereals, premade dinner mixes, etc. are SO EXPENSIVE here. Therefore, everyone makes things by scratch and without preservatives.
I'm not going to lie, they love their french fries and chivitos (a giant burger with cheese, ham, egg, lettuce, tomato, mayo, red pepper, onion..). But for the most part, people have home-cooked meals and rarely go out to eat or buy processed foods. At work, everyone brings delicious leftovers: rice, chicken, salads, fruits, casseroles... The first day of work I brought yogurt, a protein bar and some prepackaged food. I realized everyone actually ate real food, so after that I've been bringing things I cook the night before. When I brough my real food to work, someone commented that I'm learning how to eat like a Uruguayan...and trust me, its delicious to eat like a Uruguayan
Saturday, September 29, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment